NIGERIA’S FOREIGN POLICY OBJECTIVES
- Promotion and protection of Nigeria’s national interests;
- representing and protecting the interests of the Federal Republic of Nigeria , Nigerian citizens and legal entities abroad;
- Promotion of African integration and support for African unity;
- Promotion of international cooperation for the consolidation of universal peace and mutual respect among nations and elimination of discrimination in all its manifestation;
- Respect for international law and treaty l as seeking settlement of internal dispute by negotiation, mediation, conciliations, arbitration and adjudication; and
- Promotion of a just world economic order.
OFFICE OF THE HOUNOURABLE MINISTER OF STATE FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND ITS RESPONSIBILITIES.
The Ministry has extensively reviewed its key policy areas to improve its operational modalities. It operates at different levels namely, Headquarters, Missions, Home Service, International Organizations and other Institutions. At the apex of its operations is the Honourable Minister of Foreign Affairs, as the political head, who works in close collaboration with the Honourable Minister of State I and the Honourable Minister of State II, as well as the Permanent Secretary, the administrative head of the Foreign Service. In addition, four Under-Secretaries oversee groups of Departments, while Directors supervise affairs of the various Departments and Divisions of the Ministry. For the Ministry to function effectively and efficiently, it operates a structure that lends itself to clarity in decision making, accountability, and responsibility. Its operational framework is kept simple, devoid of duplication and overlap in functions. In this regard, smooth operation and departmental synergy enables intra-job distribution and collaboration with other Ministries, Departments and
In addition, the Minister of State supervises agncies under the Ministry. These include the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution, Directorate of Technical Aid Corps and Directorate of Technical Cooperation in Africa.
Agencies. This has proven to be useful strategies to facilitate follow-up and monitoring of implementation of government policies and programmes as they relate to foreign policies.
Accordingly, the Ministry has taken steps to promote a clear chain of command and structure through the following policy initiatives:
- i.re-organization of the Ministry to achieve high levels of professionalism, specialization and effectiveness;
- ii. re-alignment of basic functions and processes of Departments and Agencies of the Ministry;
- iii.entrenchment of core values and high standards in staff through re-orientation, training, rewards and sanctions;
- iv. upgrading of basic structures, facilities and services in the Ministry.