DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING, RESEARCH AND STATISTICS (PRS)
The Department of Planning, Research and Statistics (PRS) is the think tank of the Ministry and one of the three service Departments established by the 1988 Civil Service Re-Organisation Decree No 43. The Department is divided into the following: Policy Planning, Physical Planning, Research and Statistics, Information and Communication Technology, Library, Projects Maintenance and Transport. The Department has the following general functions among others:
- Preparing the overall Annual Report of the Ministry;
- Serves as member and Secretariat of the Ministerial Tenders Board;
- Research into the internal organization and operational modalities of the Ministry;
- Constant collection and processing of Data and Statistics relating to the Ministry;
- Liaison with relevant bodies outside the Ministry;
- Projects planning, management, maintenance, monitoring and evaluation; The Department evaluates the Ministry’s development programmes and projects; provide information on progress reports;
- Conducting policy oriented research into areas of concern over which the Ministry has interests;
- Organises in-house training and orientation for Officers proceeding on first time posting;
- Carry out policy modeling of in-house changes and their implications for enhanced productivity in the Ministry;
- Identify problems/issues and prepare concept paper for discussions;
- Assist in policy development and analyses of trends;
- Projects planning and execution;
- Policy compliance and monitoring with policy decisions and pronouncements, such as reforms;
- Overseeing the implementation of capital projects both at Headquarters and Nigerian Missions abroad;
- Participating in budget preparations, planning and defence;
- The Department also serves as secretariat for major meetings and committees in the Ministry, such as Senior Management Committee Meeting, Policy Planning Committee, Situation Forum and Crises Management Committee Meeting;
- The Department participates in Crafting of Policy papers; participates in Inspection of Missions, International Summits, Organising Inter-Ministerial Meetings; and
- The Department is vested with the responsibility of policy formulation in relation to foreign policy issues through organizing seminars, conferences, symposia and retreats.
Research and Statistics Division (RSD)
The Division is saddled with the responsibility of conducting practical policy oriented researches into foreign policy issues and other areas which the ministry has jurisdiction. The Division provides in-house consultancy services for the Ministry in respect of its operational modalities, management practices, management audit, monitoring, in reference to and implementation of rules and regulations. The Division sets and improves on the strategies to achieve Nigeria’s foreign policy goals. The Division represents the Ministry in the Board of its parastatals such as Technical Aid Corp (TAC), Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA), Directorate of Technical Cooperation in Africa (DTCA) and Institute of Peace and Conflict Resolution (IPCR). It also oversees the ICT Unit and the Ministry’s Library.
Functions and Services of the Division:
- a) It handles the database of the Ministry and runs the statistics and charts of all items including the strength and manpower resources of MFA. The physical structure of MFA and the list of contractors as well as retired Ambassadors and diplomats are being handled by the Division.
- b) It organises the Regional Heads of Missions Seminars and Conferences;
- c) Conducting research studies into identified and approved projects, which includes types of contract and information on all contractors and the amount involved in all the contracts.
- d) Orientation for newly appointed Heads of Mission.
- e) Quarterly retreats and workshops on topical issues and other relevant workshops.
- f) Liaison with Government Agencies and other bodies outside the Ministry.
- g) Dissemination of information and correspondence with the Ministry’s Parastatals.
- h) Preparation of Progress and Annual Reports.
- i) Carries out research into critical problem areas of the Ministry’s activities and programmes.
- j) Collects, analyses and manages statistical data generated in the Ministry and Missions abroad.
- k) Supervises the Ministry’s Library and ICT Units and
- l) It also liaises with National Research Centers such as NIIA, IPCR, National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) and Universities to improve the strategies to achieve Nigeria’s foreign policy objectives.
Physical Planning Division (PPD)
Physical Planning Division is one of the Divisions under Planning, Research and Statistics (PRS) Department. It has the responsibility of overseeing the implementation of capital projects in Nigeria’s missions abroad. The Division liaises with missions abroad to aggregate requests for the purpose of including same in the overall capital budget proposals of the Ministry. Each of the requests has a set of conditions/guidelines attached to them, in line with extant regulations and provisions of the Public Procurement Act (PPA) 2007, which the requesting Mission must fulfil before approval is granted.
The Division also engages in periodic project monitoring and inspection to ensure adherence to standards in the implementation of projects as well as value for money.
Projects and Maintenance Division
The Project and Maintenance Division is charged with the initiation, evaluation, supervision and monitoring of projects in the Ministry and gives technical advice on projects undertaken by Missions.
In addition, routine and planned maintenance assessments are carried out in order to ensure proper maintenance of the infrastructures for effective service delivery.
The under listed are the duties of the Division:
- Regulation and Supervision of Facility Managers for effective service delivery;
- Maintenance of Electrical and Mechanical Equipments;
- Maintenance of the Building Complex Infrastructures;
- Preparation of Engineering Bill of Quantities for Works;
- Monitoring and Supervision of Projects;
- Issuance of Job Completion Certificates of jobs for payments;
- Preparation of cost estimate and tender documents in respect of projects to be carried out either by contract or direct labour;
- Maintenance of Plant Movement Order (PMO) for all vehicles and plant belonging to the Ministry – the transport unit reports to the Division.
- Preparation and keeping of comprehensive inventory of plant and vehicles of the Ministry;
- Participation in the preparation of Annual Budgetary Estimate for Capital Projects.
Information and Communications Technology Division (ICT)
The Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Division of the Ministry is a technology-driven and policy-based Division, carved out of the Planning, Research and Statistics Department (PRS) of the Ministry.
Vision and Mission of the Division
- To serve as an innovative resource and continuously enhance service delivery through the application of information and communication technology.
- To ensure the integrity of data, improve service delivery and to foster a bright technological future for the Ministry.
- To improve and enhance the ICT platform in alignment with the Executive Order on the Ease of Doing Business (EODB) for greater productivity at Headquarters and in our Missions.
The functions of the Division cut across the following:
- Designing and crafting of ICT policies for the Ministry.
- Advises the Ministry on all ICT-related matters in the Ministry’s mission and vision.
- Represents the Ministry in all internal and external fora on ICT matters.
- Provision of support and maintenance of all ICT Core Platforms in the Ministry.
- Sustaining modern standards for server installations and applications.
- Maintain, support and monitor all application/file servers.
- Provide support services to the Administration and support of the LAN/WAN infrastructure of the Ministry.
- Support and maintain all active Directories of end users of the Ministry.
- Periodic training of staff proceeding on diplomatic assignments on the use of the Ministry’s application software.
- Networking and Security on ICT Infrastructure (Monitoring the performance of the network and access control to the network).
- Ensure that backups and backup tests restore.
- Advancing of laudable ideas to Management on the viable hardware and software product to procure for the Ministry.
- Responsible for ICT governance and formal controls over IT systems.
- Updating ICT Disaster Recovery Plans (DRP).
- Updating of ICT Governance Framework and protocol.
- ICT budget, project, strategic and network capacity planning.
- Liaise with ICT Service Providers and Vendors.
- Management of service-wide level agreements amongst all MDAs.
The Unit is established to function as the resource centre of the Ministry and its functions include the following:
- Providing resource services to staff.
- Acquisition of relevant and current books and other information resources.
- Collation, classification, cataloguing of information material for proper organization and easy access.
- Selective dissemination of information (SDI) Services.
- Acquisition and distribution of daily newspapers to entitled Departments and staff.
- Provision of inter-library loan Services.
- Acquisition of relevant serials and journals.
- Providing professional advice to management on matters regarding the development of the library.
The Unit receives materials purchased through Procurement Department and issued to user Departments. It also compiles all unserviceable items at Headquarters and all the Missions for Boarding.
Policy and Planning Division